Translate

Thursday 6 July 2017

FINDING STRENGHT IN MY CULTURE

For 14 years life has taken me to many places.

I remember my days in Angola, Kenya, South Africa and the Netherlands.But everywhere I have been , I always carried my cultural beliefs with me.Singing and dancing is part of my culture and so each time I dance it makes me feel at home wherever I am.

Last weekend I had an Indonongo(Indonongo is the Cultural dance, and music of Burundi)performance of singing and dancing.Where I brought people together and connected through the African Culture. The Music ,dance, and storytelling are the best way to Voice out my Culture. It was a great show and i got many compliments which made me thought about my journey through life and how far i have come.

Never forget where you come from ,it's always behind you."Iyo uva ntihakuva inyuma".

What makes me happy is when i see how happy I make people when i dance and sing.It makes me affirms that "I am that great dancer but not Hiv positive person". The point I am trying to make is HIV can not put anyone's talent or true self in a box unless you allow it.

Dancing and singing have made me realize that I am still the same person I was 13 years ago before I contracted Hiv.
I want to continue to do the good things I am doing now , I want to do more than you can imagine. I am very grateful to be alive and be able to do what I always love to do. I am happy  Iam in  a place where i get access to medication and live a healthy life.

Sometimes i get upset knowing that there are still some people in the World who are deprived of education,and no access to medication making the rate of Hiv increase and dangerous to the health of the affected . I am talking about the Batwa's a Pygmy group in Burundi who constitute about 1 % of Burundi's population and are treated unequal to the rest of Burundian community.

They are left to die of Aids whilst the whole World is talking about Ending Hiv and Aids in  2030.What are We going to do with the forgotten Group in Africa?They are humans and they deserved to get HELP.

How about a campaign ? Leave no one behind .Let's join hands to campaign for the right of Batwa Indigenious  especially the Hiv affected individual.If we are seriously thinking about ending Hiv and Aids Stigma and discrimination then we should work hard to offer our support and help to Minority groups like the Batwa's who are denied so many rights including the right to medication and the right to Hiv prevention due to the lack of Education.

In a musical spirit , I end with a song...

I won't change who I am

I am a woman in mission and no one can
            stop me.
Talking about the mission

Talking about fighting Stigma around Hiv  /Aids         
Talk about education for Batwa              Indigenious

Together we end hiv and Aids and leave  no one behind.

Have a great day-Eliane

No comments:

Post a Comment