Translate

Tuesday 10 July 2018

Small girl, great dancer


Every year at the beginning of summer in my City Amersfoort there is a Festival called Struinen in de Tuinen.  Many local artists gather in different places to perform. I am always invited to bring people together with my African music, singing, dancing and storytelling, using my unique Instrument (Indonongo) made from cow horn.
I get different people of different ages and nationalities. People who love Africa, who have been in Africa for work, or have family members in Africa come to enjoy my show.

I have a new children’s show. Story telling: “THE DANCER PRINCESS.” This is something I introduced last year as I saw that more and more children were coming to the Indonongo show. Last Sunday during my first performance there was this little girl. She was so happy, and absolutely loved my music. She danced like she was part of my story: “The Dancer Princess.”  She was not shy. Her mother was dancing too and after the show she came to thank me. 
She said that her daughter did not want to go anywhere else – just to my show.  Her mother is from Hungary and her father Dutch. But the way she picked up my moves reminded me of myself when I was little. I used to follow my big brothers and sisters to parties in our neighbourhood. I would dance like it was my last day on Earth. I would smile at everyone until they smiled back. This little girl brought back sweet memories of the old days. I was full of joy watching her moving like me. After all, I realise I never changed who I was before and clearly HIV did not change my personality!

The day ended very well, with some mothers coming along to tell me how much they liked the show, asking when I would be performing next. I told them about the International Aids Conference coming to Amsterdam, and that I would be performing in the Global Village at 16.30 hrs on the afternoon of 26th July.  Sharing my culture and educating people on HIV and AIDS, fighting stigma and using my talents in front of people from all around the world.  What more could I ask? I am more than happy!
Peace,
Eliane

No comments:

Post a Comment