Translate

Tuesday 31 July 2018

Positive and Gorgeous

On 25 July, the 11th edition of the Power of Love was held. It is in the words of Fred Verdult “de leukste dag om hiv te hebben”. A very inspiring yearly event about living with HIV and medication. This year’s edition was connected to the AIDS congress I talked about in my previous blog. This year it also had a positive flame torch relay through Amsterdam to the event in DeLaMar theater.

Let me start with the Positive Flame tour: I carried number 2003, the year of my diagnose. It was an incredible honour to have been a part of the tour where we marched together; 37 torchbearers (35 living with HIV from 1984 till 2017), but also Nobel Laureate Madame Francoise Barre- Sinoussi, who discovered the HIV virus in 1983 and my friend Timothy Brown, the only person in the World who has been cured of HIV, Bertus Tempert who is the Chair of Dutch HIV Association and a good friend of mine who handed the torch to me, Tim Kramer and Brenda Mugabona, the young inspiring activists and all other friends who I forgot to mention. We marched from the AIDS monument where we started and saw the opening by Femke Halsema of the tour, right next to the photo exposition “Living by the number” which includes a huge picture of me. From there we walked many kilometres on a very hot day through all Amsterdam.

Why did I march In Positive Flame Tour? It was an honour to be asked as a torchbearer, now living for 15 years with HIV! I wanted to rejoice together with all who made it from 1984 till today! Since I was told to buy my own coffin when I was diagnosed in 2003 and that I was not allowed to have children because I was going to die, this was a right moment to show my happiness of being a mother and alive! People living with HIV are still human, they are smart, have talent and are gorgeous! We did great work together. I loved the speech of Femke and the heart warming solidarity of Princess Mabel during the March. Their support in fighting stigma is very well needed by the People of Amsterdam and many other places  and we hope that there will be a big change in attitude toward people living with HIV in the Netherlands.

At the start of this year’s Power of Love event, I welcome all other torch bearers with African dance at the Leidseplein before they entered Theater DeLaMar. I did not know that everybody in theatre was watching my positive dance! My sons were there too and were very proud of mom!  During the event in theatre DeLaMar there were many interviews mixed with some artists performing. Like Belle Fleur and Perry Dossett . I loved the moment when all 37 torchbearers went on stage to sing Something inside (so strong) with Perry. Yes HIV has made me stronger than ever before. I would not dare to fight the Stigma around HIV if I was not strong. The song continues I know that I can make it. Yes I made it till today because medication works. Yet, a harsh reminder is needed as well: my cousin and her husband  did not make it till today... they died of AIDS as recent as 2015! I hope I don’t need to loose anyone else in my family because of AIDS.

We did it all together and I will always cherish this sweet memory of Positive Flame and the grand finale at the Power of Love. It was a real energy boost and a reminder for me to continue my mission: FIGHT stigma, EDUCATE and EMPOWER.

Till we meet again.
Peace,
Eliane

No comments:

Post a Comment