Translate

Sunday 23 September 2018

The Mask.


I had been wearing The Mask for many years.
I would smile and look happy
while no one knew what was behind that smile.
The Mask was heavy, I could not take the weight anymore.
Then I decided to take The Mask off . . .
what many called coming out of the closet.
I wanted to feel free, no more shame, no more lies.
Why does it have to be so hard? Why did it take me so many years?
I needed time; maybe you still need time ...
But don’t wait too long, you are missing out on nice things.
I know I am not alone to have gone through this
so here is my call to everyone who is still wearing The Mask.
Take it off - if you want to fight HIV stigma;
Show your face - I know you are not a coward.
Aren’t you tired of hiding?
Aren’t you thirsty for freedom?
Take off The Mask, I’m begging you!
Be the hero and voice for the voiceless.
Be unstoppable like a cyclone in the islands.
May your voice be heard like thunder on Mount Kilimanjaro.
Shout loud - and say: “No more HIV stigma!”  
. . . Isn’t it lovely to be yourself again?
Peace,
Eliane

2 comments:

  1. Peace my dear speak our even for those who are still behind the mask

    ReplyDelete