Translate

Sunday 9 September 2018

The next Generation


I keep on feeling beter and beter since I am open about my HIV to my children. Saturday I was invited to HIV positive women activities in Sittard. Mothers who have children were allowed to bring them along. I thought that it would be more for very young kids from 0 to 8. I asked if it was ok to bring my youngest son of 10. Of course he is welcome. That was the answer from the organisation for then activities. So it was my turn to check with my son Akira if he is interested to join me. He had 3 choices. First to join his big brother Rio and his father to go train spotting at Lage Zwaluwe where Rio was going to film all trains. This is his hobby since he was 2 years old. The second choice was to go play with his friend, and the third was to join mama to the women HIV activities.

Guess what he chose? He wanted to join me. I asked him if he is sure about going to Sittard, sitting 2 hours in a train and join the belly dance. His answer was: “Mama I want to support you in many things you do regarding fighting stigma, connecting with other people with the same condition as you. I am not ashamed being around you in public, you are my mom and my most beautiful and courageous mom I have ever seen in my entire life”. Well not that he is very old... only 10years. But this brought tears to my cheeks. Then he asked “Mom are you crying? Did I say something sad or did I offend you?” I said “no my dear, these are tears of joy”. I know that all the energy I put in this fight will not be for nothing, because  even if I will not be able to continue you will pick up what was left.

So we went with our train to Sittard. We met great people, I had a nice chat. Some women knew me only via my facebook positive posts. Some had read my stories on Hello gorgeous and were so happy to meet in person. So we hugged, and laughed together. What happened to my son AKIRA?

Well, he already met 3 kids he knew from Positive kids family weekend. So they were playing together, and sometimes he would come around and give me that ‘I love you mom kiss’ and I would hear him and other kids playing piano.
I was excited to do the belly dance. It is something totally different from African dance that I am used to do as a professional dancer. I was looking forward to learn it together with positive women and connect as I always do when I dance. What a great day, I enjoyed every single minute of it. The kids were dressed in a belly dance outfit just like their mothers. I thought maybe Akira would not join or put on the outfit. It turned out he had a lot of fun with it. He likes to dance too I guess, something he picked from me. Hahahaha.

We had a nice time together. After the dance we had nice oriental snacks and then went home.
Till now I don’t regret having told my children about my HIV status or let Akira join me in women’s group because I believe when we empower the young generation, we stand a chance of reducing HIV stigma and zero infection.
Peace,
Eliane

No comments:

Post a Comment