Translate

Friday 1 June 2018

The Power of Peer Education!

Open about my HIV status was not a bad idea at all! Although many people still find difficult to talk about their status to their close family and close friends. I understand it very well because stigma around HIV and AIDS  is putting everyone onder pressure. Let me tell you how helpful it can be when you are open. You become the voice of the Voiceless. When you share your story of living with HIV with someone who just diagnosed, you change his or her life!
I don't regret to be public open about my status on social media because  I help many people by counseling them online. People come and ask questions, we support each others and I make them feel they are not alone in this fight!

I am excited to share the beautiful story of a woman I supported the past 2 years. I got into contact with her as a buddy via facebook messenger. Why because she went to Psychologist to get help and he did not manage to help her. She wanted to kill herself.He had a Hello Gorgeous magazine where my story was written and my beautiful cover picture. He said go and look for this woman on social media and she may help you. Why did he send her to me? He knew if I would meet her that her life may change.

So when the Buddy of that woman contacted me she explained the situation and I felt I needed to offer her my support. We met at a train station for the first time and we talked about 2 hours. The very first thing she said is that she wanted to die, this disease is terrible and she cannot live any longer. I listened to her whole story very patiently, then I asked if she has medication. She was already on treatment. She wanted to have  a baby so then she can not feel alone.

When I told my HIV story from beginning and ending with telling her that I have 2 beautiful sons with no HIV, I saw her face changing, she started smiling. The Idea of killing herself started disappearing. She asked many more questions relating to have baby.

Her biggest problem was that she did not yet tell her boyfriend about her status. We discussed for her to take time and be honest with him about having a baby with him. I explain U=U. If she is undetectable she cannot pass it on to her boyfriend. The best option is to let her boyfriend do a HIV test before they have sex without condom. I said If you tell him after you are pregnant he will surely do a HIV test.If you have bad luck he alreay has got it somewhere in the past and he will blame you that it was you that infected him while we know you are on treatment more then 6 moths. You don't want to end your relationship like that. Be open to him and if he really love you he will do whatever it takes to be with you.

So she took my advice wisely and she told him. He stayed with her and she fell pregnant. They received a baby boy and the result came yesterday, the baby is HIV negative. We were celebrating this new chapter of their life. The father is very happy to see the mother and son healthy. Their dream has come true! For me it is my glorious month. I wanted them to be happy together and live their life at fullest!

What can I say, it's the power of peer education! Knowing that you are not alone out there! Make you understand that HIV is not the end of your World!
Peace ,
Eliane

2 comments:

  1. Wow Eliane, you did well, you do well, you are such a strong woman ��
    The power of Eliane!!

    ReplyDelete