Translate

Sunday 15 October 2017

Inspired by Hiv positive Batwa

Last friday I had an opportunity to meet Hiv positive women of Buterere. I have been there before for education on Hiv and Aids for all Batwa but this time I needed to meet women group.

It was a group of 14 women all hiv positive. They were from different ages. Young and Old. The oldest was 52 years.
We did share our stories and I gave information of UequalsU since we were talking about the problem related to  Stigma. I realized they can handle much more than I thought. We learned each others from many experience.
There a woman who inspired us by her  story
She lost 2 husband because of Aids ,her cousin who lived in village was rejected by all family because of His Hiv .He was left alone and died of Aids and has been eten by all dogs from the village. Meanwhile her uncle (the father of a boy eaten by dogs)went in Bujumbura city and get treatement. He decided to tell his family that he has Hiv after his own son's death.
This woman believes that she has Hiv because of her 2 husbands death.She think that her Hiv is hidden in bones.
We did support her  and asked her to trust her doctor.

About transmission mother to child.
I have learned from these wonderful mothers.I was never allowed to breastfeed my 2 boys to prevent the infection. After birth, I reived a pill to stop my breastmilk. I gave my babies powder milk since they were born. I wished many time to breastfeed them. Unfortunately I had no choice. I don't regret it but I wish I coud have got second opinion.

When I shared my experience ,the look of these women could show how pity they felt for me.
So I have asked them how come they breastfeed their babies .They explained that from the begining the baby get the mother milk from 0 till 6 month. ONLY milk and not water. The baby will take together with mother milk ,the antibiotics "Bactrim sirop" till 6 months. They don't get anything else.Mother will keep taking medication as normal amd baby will take till the last result if hiv test come out negative.After 6 months ,the baby can drink water and eat some fruit.

They explained the advantage of Bactrim Sirop. The baby can not get fast infection like grip, diarhée. I have seen those beautiful babies ,I felt a big joy and pride for those Mutwa positive women.

There were some mothers who went throught the same system of Bactrim Sirop and their kids are more than 10 years old.  They do so because they can not afford the powder milk and giving cowmilk for a new born does not work effectively with Hiv Medication for baby.

We were very happy to exchange and connect .I was glad to spend a day with them and I think positive new mothers in Nederland have something to learn too.
If I would give birth again ,I would definately breastfeed and enjoy such a good feeling of being a complete mother.
I am inspired by those Hiv positive women from Buterere.

Peace
Eliane

2 comments:

  1. What a great story, Eliane. Spread the word! Surely this new experience with Bactrim Sirop will be picked up by medical scientists to investigate and convince the whole world, if not done so yet! I am amazed, and happy for you and these 14 mothers.
    I have a contact in Uganda who lives with hiv and is undetectable, and daily gives session for groups of people all over Uganda, including schools, and sex workers, to fight Stigma, and teaches them preventive measures, including PREP. He has been doing this already for about 2 years! I told him about your project, and he was thrilled. He works for Happy Family Youth Uganda, and I will let him know your experiences on this subject of baby milk.
    You are doing fantastic work, Eliane! I am looking forward to your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational stuff Eliane! Though I miscarried all three of my pregnancies, I so desperately had wanted to breastfeed too.
    I don’t understand why they don’t change the “no breastfeeding if hiv positive” policy in the Netherlands!
    If U=U then surely there is no virus transmittable via breadtmilk either!?!
    For me it is now too late, unfortunately.... :’(
    But for other future positive mothers???
    Keep up the great work girl!!! Love & respect, xx Pauline

    ReplyDelete