Translate

Friday 20 October 2017

The Hills of Gahwazi

Tuesday with ASSEJEBA team went to visit the Batwa from Gahwazi 2 in Mpanda Commune ,Bubanza Province.
It's a place of Hills only,the car could not get us to the houses where Batwa live.
So we walked 6km climbing till on top.
I have never done it before.In Gihanga is plat like in Netherlands (Pays-Bas)where there is no single mountain.It was a great sport for me.

The welcome is dancing and singing from Youth choire and Vibrant women group.
Every time is very special for me!

My introduction is always the same. Asking what they know on HIV and Aids.
According to them HIV is a desease you get from cheating on your relationship. How to prevent HIV ,You can stop having sex.
I asked if they ever seen someone with HIV .Their ansuer was yes .The person with Aids has big head,thin arms and a skin infection (Zona)
So we talked many other ways of getting HIV ,the Prevention and treatement.
I reminded them of not ruling out the case of rape for women and girls an other way of high infection in our community.They agree with me.
Then I started sharing my HIV story.They were surprised when I showed my medications.It was a urge opening !
All the children and parents were listening careful and asked many questions regarding the HIV MYTH within Batwa community.
According to Batwa of Gahwazi2  a Mutwa has HIV when he can not produce the pot (Kubumba Inkono).
My story did change  how they vieuw a person who live with HIV.

The Chief of Batwa with emotions did explain the gratitude he had to be able to see me being open and give them education. He said in his words"I have heard from people who came once to talk about the prevention on HIV and Aids,I have got many informations but I have never seen in person someone with HIV open and share this inspiring story.We see she tell the truth ,she has shown us medication.We are lucky to have her here  Thank you Eliane for choosing the Batwa.We are convinced that Knowing your status is the basic for planing our future and development. (ITERAMBERE) God bless you"

We finished by distributing the Excices books to 193 children.
We left them with smile faces.

Peace,
Eliane

No comments:

Post a Comment