Translate

Wednesday 11 October 2017

The Empowerment .

Hello.
Last few days I have been visiting more Batwa Villages In Nyamwera ,Rugamba both in Muhanga Commune ,Province Kanyanza.And also in Mubarazi in Murambi commune ,Province Muramvya.
The welcome in singing and dancing always  boost my energy  and make me feel at home.

In every village , the Batwa have the same problem of poverty. They have no solide houses .when it rains ,they stand up the whole night. Their children don't go at school because they don't have school uniforms and shoes. They are forced to return home and miss out the school.

During Hiv education the Batwa thought that the Transmission is only via sex or sharing the sharp objects.The transmission mother to Child or blood transfusion were not known.
Some Batwa describe the Hiv person as someone with Big head , very skinny and Red rips .This is the great time where I use my story to educate them and it was an eye opener since they never seen a really Hiv positive person open about it. When I showed my medication it enforced the power of my message and they were more convinced that I am an Hiv positive woman!

We started talking about the Stigma and breaking the silence  and support the Hiv positive Batwa as one people ,as one communuty. They are ready to go for Hiv test to find out and start treatement.

I closed the visit by meeting in secret a group of 4 young positive Batwa men who stop going at school  very long time because of discrimination  And they interrapt the taking of their medication due to the reasons of being afraid ."Death is close"
We discussed  a lot and decided to start whatsup support group since one of them has a number it will be easy to keep in touch
I was so happy to see again the smile on their face. They went home empowered!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous work done Eilane, keep it up!!!! Lots of love, xx Pauline

    ReplyDelete